Each year high school juniors from across Nelson County will be selected for the MainStreet U Program. Those student trailblazers that are chosen will spend their junior and senior year serving, connecting and making a direct impact within downtown Bardstown. During this program, students will be exposed to leadership development, project-based learning, build entrepreneurial skills and gain valuable awareness about their downtown community.
Applicants must be high school juniors.
Applicants must live in Nelson County.
Applicants must have at least a 3.00 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
MainStreet U members can only miss (2) program meetings, activities, and LD courses per year. We understand if other circumstances arise that are out of your control throughout the year, and will address those on a case-by-case basis.
MainStreet U members must agree to abide by all MainStreet U policies and procedures.
- Please complete the application in full online. Incomplete application will not be considered.
- Online applications must be submitted no later than 12:00 a.m. Sunday, May 20th 2018.
- Applicants must also submit two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation must be written to describe the applicant’s character and how she/he will make a difference to the local community. Letters of recommendation cannot be from a relative. Letters of recommendation can be mailed to the Bardstown Main Street office: One Court Square, Bardstown, KY 40004
- A commitment form (download here) must be completed by the applicant’s school counselor and either scanned via email or mailed to our office: One Court Square, Bardstown, KY 40004
- The Bardstown Main Street Board of Directors will select all applicants based on letters of recommendation, and applicant responses.
- Letters notifying applicants of the Board of Directors results will be mailed the week of June 4th, 2018. Three students from each local high school (Nelson County, Thomas Nelson, Bethlehem and Bardstown High School) will be selected to participate in the program. An alternate will also be selected in the case that any of the selected participants cannot attend.
Note: The following application will take some time to complete, please set aside 45 minutes to an hour so that we may get-to-know more about why you want to be a part of MainStreet U.